NEW AUS VIDS: CREED THA KID, BARKAA, BARO SURA
Our weekly picks from the New Hip-Hop Videos From Aus playlist; as always, highlighting the latest and best videos from across the AU. Don’t miss out! Subscribe to our channel to be the first across the hottest new clips. Updated weekly, there are thousands to watch in our YouTube playlist! Which video are you into this week? Slam the comments with who we missed…
CREED THA KID – DROP THAT
On time every year, Creed Tha Kid clocks in another R&B summer tune with ‘Drop That’. The Meanjin/Brisbane artist’s rise can be largely attributed to his world class melodies and the strong chemistry exercised in features from Mason Dane, Jaecy and more. While 2023 has seen a slow down in collaborations for him, there’s been no shortage of quality releases including ‘Distance’ and ‘Impatient’ from earlier this year. Produced by Liam Thomas and Mess, the latest club bop was made a couple of years ago while living together. The official visualiser, shot and edited by THANADON, turns ‘Drop That’ into the soundtrack of a perfect pre-drinks and smoke session. Year in, year out – Creed Tha Kid always brings the vibes.
BARO SURA – MAILBOX FREESTYLE FT. BRICK GADDAFI
Naarm/Melbourne artist Baro Sura returns with new ‘Mailbox Freestyle’ featuring Brick Gaddafi. Baro Sura has shown his prowess throughout the span of his career since his 2014 debut, and is back again with the left-of-centre raps that he came in the game with. Baro daisy chains his bars together with a cool and relaxed delivery over a set of whimsical piano loops from Son Ray. Shot by Bamitssam, the music video shows him in a variety of summery locales that match the vibe to perfection, before the transition to the darkness of Brick Gaddafi’s verse where both the sample and the video take on a darker tone to match.
BARKAA – DIVISION
AU Rap’s matriarch BARKAA demonstrates pain, passion and poise on her new track ‘Division’. Over the rattling drums and haunting sounds of JayteeHazard’s production, the Malyangapa and Barkindji artist spits her manifesto of righteous anger at the system and society that continues to oppress Australia’s Indigenous people. In one of her most lyrically venomous offerings, BARKAA begins with “My people making up 28% of these prisons. We make up 3% here in this population while the other 97% under the ground or missing.” The music video, directed by Josh Lee, takes inspiration from Joyner Lucas’ viral ‘I’m Not Racist’ visuals, as she delivers her potent explanation of Blak perspective in the wake of the ‘NO’ vote.
JARROD JEREMIAH – LONDON IN JUNE FT. LILY AGNES
Jarrod Jeremiah unveils the official music video for compelling R&B-pop track ‘London In June’. Following ‘SUPERSTAR!’ and his collaboration with Anieszka, the Indian-Australian artist and producer enlists the angelic London singer Lily Agnes on his third new release this year. Shot by Jordane Jeremiah and himself, the music video is a montage of the Boorloo/Perth native’s euro summer escapades, reflecting the track’s narrative of moving on from a past romantic longing. On top of other favourites like ‘Throwaway’ featuring CHISEKO, ‘London In June’ enhances the whirlwind of creative energy that Jeremiah and his musical portfolio is celebrated for.
HP ONIT – DAISY FT. A.GIRL
(Jordan Ruyi Blanch)
Melbourne rapper HP ONIT, one half of HP Boyz, tells a cautionary tale on ‘Daisy’ featuring A.GIRL. Continuing to establish himself as a solo artist outside of his work as part of the Samoan Australian duo, Onit links with Sydney singer and rapper for her first release of 2023. Produced by Willstah, I.amsolo and Chunky Luv, ‘Daisy’ tells the story of young relationships, family issues, teenage pregnancy and more. Directed by Jordan Ruyi Blanch, it’s accompanied with a music video that depicts the song’s story and A.GIRL as she performs one of her best guest verses yet.
BIG SKEEZ – RECOGNISE
Eora/Sydney’s Big Skeez shares visuals to ‘Recognise’ alongside his debut album Work Don’t Stop. With laid-back melodies, evocative lyrics, and a smooth delivery, the easy going and vibrant single is a glimpse into the South Sudanese artist’s latest project. Across 12-tracks, WDS includes past releases ‘Where Yuh From’ with Gold Fang and ‘90s Baby’ featuring DatBreddaDom. Directed by Peter Danks, the music video positions Skeez against a city skyline, expressing his desire for his affection to be acknowledged. While Big Skeez has been building up to his debut album for the last few years, his mantra remains the same post-release: the work don’t stop.